New device previewed for capturing 4K video for use with Final Cut Pro and Premiere Pro on computers such as the new Mac Pro.
AJA is using the IBC 2013 video industry show in Amsterdam to preview its forthcoming Io 4K box. Based on the line that currently includes the Io XT, Io HD and Io Express, the Io 4K allows video I/O over Thunderbolt 2 for editing.
The Io range is currenty focussed on Mac-based editors – and AJA says that the Io 4K works with the forthcoming Mac Pro – but AJA does offer Windows drivers to allow the Io XT and Io 4K to work with Thunderbolt-enabled PCs such as HP's Z-series and ZBook laptops.
No pricing or availability has been announced, though this detailed feature list has been disclosed.
- Portable 4K/UHD and HD/SD capture and playback across Thunderbolt 2
- Use with the new Mac Pro for video output up to 4K at 10-bit quality
- Backwards compatible with existing Thunderbolt hosts
- 4x bi-directional 3G-SDI
- 4K/UHD HDMI I/O
- Simultaneous SDI and HDMI outputs
- Real-time 4K to HD down-conversion for HD-SDI and HDMI monitoring
- 10-bit high-quality 4:2:2 and 4:4:4 workflow support
- Two Thunderbolt 2 ports support hosting, daisy-chaining of displays, storage and more
- 16-channel embedded audio on SDI
- 8-channel embedded audio on HDMI
- DB-25 analog audio output connector
- XLR 12V power for battery or AC use
- RS422 VTR control, Reference, LTC Input
- Headphone jack and level control for mobile environments
Updated 17/9/13: AJA has let us know that all of the Thunderbolt-enabled members of Io range – including the io 4K – work with Windows-based workstations that have Thunderbolt.