An in-depth guide to how to create artistic metallic effects using Photoshop's blending modes. Part three - Brushed Aluminum.
The main ingredients for this brushed aluminum effect are the Hue and Vivid Light blending modes, with generous helpings of Noise, Motion, and Gaussian Blur filters, and, for variation, a dash of Unsharp Mask to roughen up the final result.
It’s another fun, quick technique, and you can work in your own variations by desaturating and inverting one or more layers – you can experiment by changing the order of the layers.
1. In the Layers palette, duplicate the original image by dragging the background layer onto the “Create a new layer” icon. Alternatively, just use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl/Cmd-J. Name this layer “Hue.”
2. With the Hue layer active, select Hue from the blending mode pull-down menu.
3. Invert the Hue layer by selecting Image > Adjustments > Invert (Ctrl/Cmd-I).
4. Make another copy of the original image (Ctrl/Cmd-J), rename it “Vivid Light,” and drag it to the top of the layer stack.
5. With the Vivid Light layer active, select Vivid Light from the blending mode pull-down menu.
6. Add some noise with Filter > Noise > Add Noise. I used a value of around 100 and checked the Gaussian and Monochromatic check boxes.
7. With the Vivid Light layer still active, go to Filter > Blur > Motion Blur. Use the wheel to determine the direction of the blur and the Distance setting to adjust the length of the brushing effect.
8. Consider desaturating the Vivid Light layer (Ctrl/Cmd-U) and adjusting its opacity. Try inverting the image – use Ctrl/Cmd-I to toggle between positive and negative versions.
Create AR: Everything you need to know about designing augmented reality projects
Patrick Clair on creating American Gods' iconic title sequence
Corel Painter 2018 review: the world’s best painting software can now create thick layers of paint
Best of the Grad Shows 2017: D&AD New Blood
86 Best Photoshop tutorials
Digital Arts Guides
The hottest work, tech & techniques that match your creative tastesAnimation & VFX Business & Career Success Creative Hardware Creative Software Graphic Design Illustration & Art Interactive Design & VR Marketing Photography UX & Web Design Video Post-production