An in-depth guide to how to create artistic metallic effects using Photoshop's blending modes. Part two – Tarnished Silver.
Interesting things happen when you apply the Difference blending mode to an inverted copy of the base layer. Because Inversion turns white into black – Difference’s neutral colour – it leaves highlights and midtones unaffected, but reverses the shadows. This recipe takes advantage of these strange reversals.
1. In the Layers palette, duplicate the original image layer by dragging the background layer onto the “Create a new layer” icon, or use Ctrl/Cmd-J.
2. Using the pull-down blending mode menu in the Layers palette or the shortcut Alt/Opt-Shift-E, change the duplicate layer’s blending mode to Difference and rename it “Difference”.
3. Invert the Difference layer using Ctrl/Cmd-I.
4. Using Filter > Blur > Gaussian Blur, add some blur to the Difference layer. Any radius can be used – start with a low value such as 5 and add more later if necessary.
5. Duplicate the Difference layer using Ctrl/Cmd-J.
6. In the Layers palette, use Ctrl/Cmd-J to duplicate the original image layer, move this new layer to the top of the layer stack, and change its blending mode to Pin Light using the shortcut Alt/Opt-Shift-Z. Name the layer “Pin Light”. Invert the Pin Light layer using Ctrl/Cmd-I.
7. In the Layers palette, make another copy of the original image layer, drag it to the top of the layer stack, and change its blending mode to Exclusion using the shortcut Alt/Opt-Shift-X.
THIS MONTH'S BEST FEATURES
London’s studio crisis – is a new design district the answer?
Designer Lucas Zanotto presents eyes in intriguing, hilarious ways
Maxon’s new free plugin lets you use 3D scenes in Adobe Illustrator – whether you have Cinema 4D or not
Where VR, AR and mixed reality is going next
86 Best Photoshop tutorials
Digital Arts Guides
The hottest work, tech & techniques that match your creative tastesAnimation & VFX Business & Career Success Creative Hardware Creative Software Graphic Design Illustration & Art Interactive Design & VR Marketing Photography UX & Web Design Video Post-production