AJA has unveiled its new Kona 3G capture card. The multi-format SD/HD/Dual Link/3G/2K video I/O hardware for Mac and PC-based systems is available next month, with an optional K3G-Box for additional connectivity.
Kona 3G features 10-bit uncompressed video 3G/HD/SD SDI I/O, new HDMI 1.4a output for stereographic monitoring to consumer 3D displays, 8-channel AES digital audio I/O (16-channel AES with optional K3G-Box) and 16-channel SDI embedded audio I/O, real-time hardware-based up/down/cross conversion to support a range of SD and HD, dual-link HD, even 2K formats, a hardware-based downstream keyer and more. Other key features include:
On the Mac:
- Seamless integration with Apple Final Cut Studio, Adobe CS5 and more
- Uncompressed QuickTime and DPX file format support, plus compressed file formats such as Apple ProRes 422 and ProRes 4444
- FCP Dynamic RT Extreme and DVCPro HD / HDV hardware scaling acceleration
- Broadcast-quality hardware-based 10-bit up-, down-, and cross-conversion
- RED Epic and ARRI Alexa workflow ease with true 2K playback and LUT support in real-time
- 3D workflow support with discrete left and right eye output over SDI and HDMI 1.4a
On the PC:
- Seamless integration with Adobe CS5, Sony Vegas 9, Autodesk Combustion and more
- Native real-time QuickTime, DPX, TIFF, TGA, AVI file format support
- Real-time DVCProHD capture and playback
To extend the connectivity of Kona 3G even further, AJA also introduced an optional K3G-Box. This 19-inch, 1RU rack-mountable breakout box adds 8 AES audio channels, 2-channel RCA analog audio monitoring jacks and looping BNC Genlock reference connectors.
Both the Kona 3G I/O hardware and K3G-Box will be available in October. The KONA 3G costs US$1,995 (around £1,290), and its $395 (£255) and for the K3G-Box.