Digital Anarchy has released its new Beauty Box Photo skin retouching software. The Photoshop plug-in provides an automated way of smoothing skin and removing blemishes in photographs.
Beauty Box Photo is based on the company's After Effects plug-in, which offers much of the same functionality for video files.
The Beauty Box skin retouching plugin performs automatic skin retouching and smoothing. The software identifies skin tones and creates an intelligent mask that limits the smoothing effect to skin areas while keeping facial details razor sharp. This process is designed to require minimal input from the user and in many cases is fully automatic, says Digital Anarchy.
Beauty Box Photo can takes advantage of GPUs and Nvidia's CUDA for faster performance using Nvidia graphics cards.
The features of Beauty Box Photo include:
- Automatic Mask: The Auto-Mask button automatically creates an underlying mask.
- Smart Skin Smoothing: Adjust the skin smoothing effects with three Smoothing controls.
- Batch Processing: Let Beauty Box set the mask and smoothing automatically for batch processing hundreds of images.
- Control Over Mask: Make changes to the mask with advanced Mask tools (though generally you won't need to!).
- Detail Sharpening: Use fine-tuning controls to preserve important details like hair, eyelashes and jewelry.
- Add Texture: Bring back skin texture, like pore structure, that can be lost because of the smoothing.
Beauty Box Photo costs US$99 (around £66). It works under Photoshop 7.0–CS5 and Photoshop Elements 6.0–9.0. On Macintosh, the product runs on OS 10.4, 10.5 and 10.6. On Windows, the product supports Windows XP Home, Windows XP Pro, Vista 32-bit, Vista 64-bit and Windows 7.