Autodesk has debuted Maya 2013, 3DS Max 2013, Softimage 2013, MotionBuilder 2013 and Mudbox 2013. The company says that the new releases improve consistency and interoperability between applications, making it even easier for artists to take advantage of powerful new and enhanced creative features.
Autodesk has also released the Entertainment Creation Suite Ultimate edition. This suite contains 3ds Max 2013, Maya 2013 and Softimage 2013 for animation software, Mudbox 2013 for 3D sculpting and painting, and MotionBuilder 2013 for charater animation.
All editions of the Autodesk Entertainment Creation Suites now also include SketchBook Designer 2013 for creating concept art using a mix of paint and vector tools.
To help users work across multiple applications, Autodesk has introduced the following features:
- Live character streaming between MotionBuilder and Maya allows users to previsualize a retargeting result in the final Maya scene before transferring the data between applications.
- More consistent hotkeys make it easier for Maya artists to navigate viewports in the 3D suite applications, and help artists familiar with 3ds Max to get up to speed with Softimage faster.
- The F-Curve Editor is consistent across 3ds Max, Maya, Softimage and MotionBuilder.
- Autodesk HumanIK Interoperability with CAT (Character Animation Toolkit) provides a single-step, round-trip workflow to transfer 3ds Max CAT bipedal characters between 3ds Max, Maya and MotionBuilder.
- Enhanced interoperability between Maya and 3ds Max allows artists to move data between the applications in a single step.
New in Maya 2013:
- New dynamic simulation, animation and rendering tools
- Everyday productivity enhancements help artists work faster.
- Open Data initiative offers tools to help facilitate parallel workflows and better complexity handling.
New in 3ds Max 2013:
- New tools for motion graphics, 3D animation, and simulation.
- ActiveShade support in the NVIDIA iray renderer
- A new render pass system
- Enhanced interoperability with Adobe After Effects and Photoshop software.
New in Softimage 2013:
- A new high-fidelity interactive environment
- CrowdFX simulation feature set
- Eenhanced modeling, animation, physics, and selection tools.
New in MotionBuilder 2013:
- A new non-linear editing paradigm for virtual production.
- The option to record live motion capture data directly to disk.
- A flexible new HUD (heads-up display).
- A floating viewer.
- Support for broadcast WAVE files.
New in Mudbox 2013
- Gigatexel engine to work efficiently with significantly more objects.
- New multipurpose curves.
- Support for edge sharpness data.
- Enhanced interoperability with Adobe Photoshop.