Quark Wednesday introduced three applications designed to complement XPress 8: Quark Publishing System 8, QuarkCopyDesk8, and QuarkXPress Server 8. The company is demonstrating these at Europe's giant IFRA and Graph Expo and will ship them before the end of the year.
Built on an open standards-based architecture, QPS 8 provides a "flexible framework for marketing departments, agencies, and magazine and newspaper publishers to manage their publishing workflows," the company explained.
"Through compatibility with QuarkXPress 8, QPS 8 delivers greater design capability for the delivery of print, Web, and Flash output, and - through the universal file format of QuarkXPress 8 and QuarkCopyDesk 8 - allows publishers to preview, edit, and output high-fidelity documents created anywhere in the world."
In addition to compatibility with QuarkCopyDesk 8, QuarkXPress Server 8, and QuarkXPress 8, Quark Publishing System 8 introduces:
- A ready-made adapter for Alfresco Enterprise 2, the leading open source content management system, allowing users to store assets in a single repository and view and update content in real-time
- User interface support for 13 languages including Japanese, as well as hyphenation and spell checking for more than 30 languages, enabling advanced international collaboration
- Improved asset management through QPS Connect Client, including multi-page preview, multiple asset check-in, metadata tagging, custom grouping, and full text search functionality
- QPS Web Hub support for East Asian languages, including the support for Rubi and Group Characters
- Support for native Adobe Illustrator file formats, which eliminates the need to switch back and forth between QuarkXPress and Illustrator for editing
Quark Publishing System 8, QuarkCopyDesk 8 and QuarkXPress Server 8 will be available in Q4 2008.