Corel has updated Corel Painter 11, it's digital painting software and photo painting software for Mac and PC.
The update promises improvements to transformations, colour management, copy/paste, performance, and auto-painting tools reportedly requested by many Corel Painter users.
First released in February 2009, Corel Painter 11 received mixed reviews, highlighting a range of bugs and quirks that suggested the software needed more work before release. Several well respected Corel Painter communities and forums also highlighted concerns.
Corel says that Service Pack 1 offers enhancement in the following areas:
* Improved on-screen transformations when using the Transformations tool.
* Enhanced rendering when applying transformations, which produces a better preview of the final transformed content.
* Transforming layer content that is larger than, or outside, the canvas is no longer clipped to the edge of the canvas. * Residual effect of an anti-aliased edge is no longer left on-screen after making a selection. Undoing a transformation works as expected.
* Residual artifacts do not remain on-screen.
Copying and Pasting
* Improved copying and pasting from other applications.
* Copying text into Painter works as expected.
* Selecting the eraser, resizing it, and then switching to the original brush, maintains both the brush and the eraser size.
* When colour management is enabled, colours display as expected when displaying documents on a second monitor.
* User-installed colour profiles that are stored within the user folder appear as expected in the Painter colour management settings.
* Opening files without colour management, or with colour management disabled, will now appear unmodified.
* An image’s colour profile is maintained when the image is cloned.
* Painter no longer crashes when opening a JPEG with an embedded CMYK profile.
* When idling, CPU usage is reduced.
* Painter is more responsive within a Windows Vista 64-bit environment.
* When resizing a brush to a larger brush size, minimal memory errors should occur.
* The Open Document dialog box within Mac OS X 10.5 and Mac OS X 10.6 displays correctly.
* Paperselector is available. You no longer need to open a document to access it.
* Smart-stroke painting system is reset when re-starting to allow multiple auto-painting attempts.
* If the smart-stroke painting system is stopped and then re-started, it starts from the beginning, instead of starting where the previous image was stopped.
* If the smart-stroke painting system is stopped and then you open a second image for painting, the new painting starts from the beginning, instead of starting where the previous image was stopped.
* Clone colour can be turned off, which allows the auto-painting to paint with its own colour.
* Resizing Colour Wheel and Mixer palettes appear within their own palettes, which will allow you to resize them separately.