Tips for drawing perfect figures
1. Draw from life. You may notice something subtle, such as light and shadow effects, that you’d miss if you were just using photos.
2. Contrast your figures against their background – for example, placing an optimistic, carefree posture against a slouching crowd.
3. Use reference images. Build up a collection of photos of trickier features such as gripping hands. There are a number of reference photos within our Download Zone; while libraries such as iStock allow you to benefit from the work of others.
4. Beware of flashy effects. When badly applied, they’re a ticket to tackiness, and will make your work look dated.
5. Keep it flexible when honing your style, particularly if you’re a cartoonist. If no legs is your thing, what happens if your character needs to ride a bicycle?